Tokyo University of Science

Brief History

The Tokyo University of Science and the “Sustaining” Teachers

The Tokyo Butsurigaku Koshujo (Tokyo Academy of Physics), the forerunner of the Tokyo University of Science, was founded in 1881, and two years later the academy was renamed the Tokyo Butsuri Gakko (Tokyo College of Science). The University of Tokyo (then the Imperial University) was founded in 1877. Because physics in the Faculty of Science was taught by a French instructor in French, the University of Tokyo established the Department of Physics in French, which continued for around three years. A group of 19 first- to third-year young scientists who graduated from this department and two others founded the Tokyo Academy of Physics and formed a pact to sustain the academy, with the aim of "Building a Better Future with Science." (The group later came to be known as the "sustaining" teachers.) Back then, a popular movement for democratic rights was at its prime. At a time when departments of politics, economics and law flourished, the "sustaining" teachers believed that "science and technology were the foundations of national prosperity." The movement to promote a broad understanding of science advocated by the Tokyo College of Science resonated with professors at the University of Tokyo at the time. Eminent professors such as Dairoku Kikuchi (Mathematics), Kenjiro Yamakawa (Physics), Aikitsu Tanakadate (Physics), Hantaro Nagaoka (Physics), and Joji Sakurai (Chemistry), who went on to become president of the University of Tokyo and leaders of RIKEN lent their support to the movement. Until the Kyoto Imperial University was consequently founded in 1897 and the College of Science and Technology (Faculty of Science and Technology) was established within the university, natural sciences were taught only at the University of Tokyo and the Tokyo College of Science during the interim years of the Meiji Period.

Hitoshi Terao, a member of the "sustaining" teachers, became the first president of the Tokyo College of Science, but he also served concurrently as the first director of the Astronomical Observatory of the University of Tokyo (Faculty of Science). Kiyoo Nakamura, the second president of the Tokyo College of Science, long served concurrently as the director of the Central Meteorological Observatory. These were interesting times in which one could be employed by a national government institution while presiding over a private university. Kyohei Nakamura, the third president of the College, was a good friend of author Soseki Natsume, and is said to have been a model for the main character in Natsume's novel I Am a Cat ("Wagahai Wa Neko De Aru"). Their friendship is also cited as a reason why the protagonist in the novel Botchan is a Tokyo College of Science graduate. Another member of the "sustaining" teachers, Shin Samejima, had friendly ties with the author Toson Shimazaki at the Komoro Gijuku school, and was depicted in Toson's Chikumagawa Sketches ("Chikumagawa no sketch") and The Impoverished Scientist ("Mazushii rigakushi"). Each and every one of the "sustaining" teachers left an indelible mark on history. Each member was determined to pursue science in the Meiji Period and devoted all their youthful enthusiasm to this calling. At their college, nobody was permitted to be late for class, professors lectured without pay and the cancellation of class by an instructor was punishable by a fine. The strictness of the sustaining pact built the foundations of the University's prosperity today.

The 21 founders of Tokyo University of Science
(Mural in the Oshamambe Campus)

Chronology

June 1881
The establishment of the Tokyo Butsurigaku Koshujo (Tokyo Academy of Physics) is advertised.
September 1883
The Academy is renamed the Tokyo Butsuri Gakko (Tokyo College of Science).
May 1915
The Tokyo College of Science is established as a foundation.
April 1949
The Tokyo Butsuri Gakko (Tokyo College of Science) becomes the Tokyo University of Science (Faculty of Science Division I and II, each with a Department of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry) as a result of education system reforms.
July 1949
The Tokyo College of Science (foundation) is renamed the Tokyo Butsuri Gakuen (Tokyo Academy of Physics) (foundation).
March 1951
The Tokyo Butsuri Gakuen (Tokyo Academy of Physics) becomes an incorporated school.
April 1958
The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Science is established.
April 1959
The Department of Applied Chemistry is added to the Faculty of Science Division I.
April 1960
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Department of Pharmacy) is established. The Department of Applied Physics is added to the Faculty of Science Division I.
April 1961
The Department of Applied Mathematics is added to the Faculty of Science Division I. The Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Science is established.
April 1962
The Faculty of Engineering (Department of Architecture, Department of Industrial Chemistry and Department of Electrical Engineering) is established.
April 1965
The Department of Management Science and the Department of Mechanical Engineering are added to the Faculty of Engineering. The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is established. The Department of Pharmacy in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science is reorganized into the Department of Pharmaceuticals and the Department of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing.
April 1966
The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Engineering is established.
April 1967
The Faculty of Science and Technology (Department of Mathematics, Physics, Architecture, Pure and Applied Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Management Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering) is established. The Department of Pharmaceuticals is renamed as the Department of Pharmacy.
April 1972
The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Science and Technology is established.
April 1974
The Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Science and Technology is established.
April 1975
The Department of Civil Engineering is added to the Faculty of Science and Technology.
April 1976
The Faculty of Engineering Division II (Department of Architecture, Department of Electrical Engineering and Department of Management Science) is established. The Department of Information Sciences and the Department of Applied Biological Science are added to the Faculty of Science and Technology.
April 1978
The Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is established.
April 1979
The Department of Civil Engineering is added to the Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Science and Technology.
April 1980
The Department of Information Science and Department of Applied Biological Science are added to the Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Science and Technology.
April 1983
The Department of Architecture, Department of Industrial Chemistry and Department of Electrical Engineering are established in the Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Engineering. The Department of Management Science and the Department of Mechanical Engineering are added to the Master's Course in the Graduate School of Engineering.
April 1985
The Department of Management Science and the Department of Mechanical Engineering are added to the Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Engineering.
April 1987
The Faculty of Industrial Science and Technology (Department of Applied Electronics, Materials Science and Technology and the Biological Science and Technology) is established.
April 1987
The Tokyo University of Science, Yamaguchi College is established.
April 1988
The name of the educational corporation is changed from the Tokyo Butsuri Gakuen (Tokyo Academy of Physics) to the Tokyo University of Science.
April 1990
The Tokyo University of Science, Suwa College is established.
April 1991
The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Industrial Science and Technology is established.
April 1993
The School of Management (Department of Management) and the Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Industrial Science and Technology are established.
April 1995
The Tokyo University of Science, Yamaguchi (Department of Basic Electronics, Department of Basic Materials Science) is established.
April 1997
The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Management and the Master's Course in the Graduate School of Biological Sciences are established.
April 1998
The Department of Mathematics and Science Education is added to the Graduate School of Science.
April 1999
The Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Biological Sciences is established. The Master's Course in the Graduate School of Industrial Science and Technology at the Tokyo University of Science, Yamaguchi is established.
April 2002
The name of the Department of Applied Mathematics in the Faculty of Science Division I at the Tokyo University of Science, Suwa is changed to the Department of Mathematical Information Science. The name of the Department of Electrical Engineering in the Faculty of Science and Technology at the same university is changed to the Electrical engineering.The name of the Department of Basic Electronics in the Faculty of Industrial Science and Technology at the Tokyo University of Science, Yamaguchi is changed to the Department of Electronics and Information Science. The name of the Department of Basic Materials Science in the Faculty of Industrial Science and Technology at the same university is changed to the Department of Materials and Environmental Engineering.
April 2003
The Doctoral Course in the Graduate School of Industrial Science and Technology is established at the Tokyo University of Science, Yamaguchi.
April 2004
The Department of Management of Science and Technology (MOT) is established in the Graduate School of Management Science and Technology. (Specialist Graduate School)
April 2005
The Department of Master of Intellectual Property (MIP) is established in the Graduate School of Management Science and Technology. (Specialist Graduate School)
November 2005
The research-related organizations are restructured, and the Research Institute for Science and Technology (RIST) is established
April 2006
As a result of reorganization of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, the Department of Pharmacy (6-year course) and the Department of Medicinal and Life Science (4 -year course) are established.
Admissions for the Department of Pharmacy (4-year course) and Department of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing are halted.
April 2009
Doctoral Courses are added to the Graduate School of Science (Department of Mathematical Science for Information Sciences and Department of Applied Physics). The Doctoral Course in Chemical Sciences and Technology is established in the Graduate School of Chemical Sciences and the Master’s Course in Mathematics and Science Education is established in the Graduate School of Mathematics and Science Education. The Doctoral Course in Innovation is established in the Graduate School of Management of Science and Technology and the name of the professional degree course in Management of Science and Technology in the Graduate School of Management of Science and Technology is changed to a professional degree course in Management of Technology.
In the Graduate School of Science, admission for the Master’s and Doctoral Courses in Chemistry, and for the Master’s Course in Mathematics and Science Education is halted.
Admission for the Master’s and Doctoral Courses in Industrial Chemistry in the Graduate School of Engineering is halted.
March 2010
The Master’s Course in Industrial Chemistry in the Graduate School of Engineering is discontinued.
April 2010
The Master’s Course in Fire Science and Technology is established in the Graduate School of Global Fire Science and Technology.
The Master’s Course in Pharmaceutical Sciences is established in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Admission for the Master’s Course in Pharmaceutical Sciences in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is halted.
March 2011
The Department of Pharmacy (4 -year course) and the Department of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing are discontinued. The Master’s Course in Chemistry in the Graduate School of Science, and the Doctoral Course in Industrial Chemistry in the Graduate School of Engineering are discontinued.
April 2011
The Doctoral Course in Mathematics and Science Education is added to the Graduate School of Mathematics and Science Education. The name of the Graduate School of Management, Science and Technology is changed to the Graduate School of Innovation Studies.
September 2011
The Master’s Course in Pharmaceutical Sciences in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is discontinued.
October 2011
The Organization for Education Advancement is inaugurated.
March 2012
The Master’s Course in Chemistry and the Master’s Course in Mathematics and Science Education in the Graduate School of Science are discontinued.
April 2012
The Master’s Course in Pharmaceutical Sciences (4-year course) and the Doctoral Course in Pharmaceutical Sciences in the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences are established. The Master’s Course in Fire Science and Technology is established in the Graduate School of Global Fire Science and Technology and the name of the Research Institute of Biological Sciences is changed to the Research Institute for Biomedical Sciences.

The entire Tokyo College of Science campus and physics laboratories are completed in Ushigome, Kagurazaka in 1906.

PAGE TOP